Almost every mainstream non-liberal party walks around with much talk about moral regeneration – I refer here to Cope, the ACDP, the ANC, and there might be many others, goodness, the ballot is by the look of things going to look like one long and broad till-slip. Equally worthless?
First I was infuriated when Cope appointed the bishop poster-boy as their presidential candidate. What happened to the separation between church and state I asked? Then the less honourable (in my very humble opinion – legal team – do not bother to sue me) Zuma addresses the Rhema Bible Church and I am shocked beyond belief.
So we have two clerics now: in the left corner is Dr. Dandala and the right corner is one time preacher at Rhema Mr. Zuma.
Busi Bling had this to say:
“Church's ballot box
When JZ addressed a captive audience of 7000 people in the Rhema Church last Sunday, he was the latest political figure to preach at pastor Ray McCauley's invitation,
if not the good Lord's. Others who've delivered sermons to the Rhema congregation in response to the call of the ballot box include FW de Klerk, Pik Botha and Adriaan Vlok. And surely Zuma knows they did not rule until Jesus comes.”
(Busi Bling – Mail & Guardian 20 March 2009 page 19)
Busi and the Mail & Guardian surely have a sense of humour and they know their readership pretty well. According to my knowledge it was the only newspaper (well, here in Gauteng) to print a December 2008 Gay Guide. Kudos!
Back to less pleasant issues:
The last time people were called a cockroach et al were inter alia in 1994 in Rwanda and a horrific genocide ensued known as ethnic cleansing. Some estimates state that as many as a million people were brutally killed.
An open letter to the Exodus International Board of Directors by Truth Wins Out, Box Turtle Bulletin, and Ex-Gay Watch which called for the removal of Alan Chambers (their President) was issued on 11 March 2009.
“Exodus International participated last week in a conference in Uganda that promoted shocking abuses of basic human rights. This included draconian measures against gay and lesbian people such as forced ex-gay therapy, life imprisonment for people convicted of homosexuality and the formation of an organization designed to “wipe out” gay practices in Uganda. The conference also featured Scott Lively, a holocaust revisionist who at the event also blamed the 1994 Rwandan genocide on gay people.”
Oh great – so gay people cause a genocide of a million people?!
Lively is a co-author of “The Pink Swastika” — a discredited book which is aimed solely at vilifying GLBT – which said that Hitler’s forces consisted of gay men and that gay men were never driven into concentration camps let alone brutally slaughtered there.
Basically to the uninformed – Exodus International is a conglomerate of pray-the-gay-away organisations. They call it reparative therapy.
Herewith the views on it by the American Psychiatric Association:
1. There is an APA 1997 Fact Sheet on Homosexual and Bisexual Issues which states that there is no published scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of reparative therapy as a treatment to change ones sexual orientation.
2. The potential risks of reparative therapy are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behaviour, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient. Many patients who have undergone reparative therapy relate that they were inaccurately told that homosexuals are lonely, unhappy individuals who never achieve acceptance or satisfaction. The possibility that the person might achieve happiness and satisfying interpersonal relationships as a gay man or lesbian is not presented, nor are alternative approaches to dealing the effects of societal stigmatization discussed.
3. Several major professional organizations including the American Psychological Association, the National Association of Social Workers and the American Academy of Paediatrics have all made statements against reparative therapy because of concerns for the harm caused to patients. The American Psychiatric Association has already taken clear stands against discrimination, prejudice and unethical treatment on a variety of issues including discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
Therefore, the American Psychiatric Association opposes any psychiatric treatment, such as reparative or conversion therapy which is based upon the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based upon the a priori assumption that the patient should change his/her sexual homosexual orientation.
First to put it into perspective for those ignoramuses:
In order to register with the Health Professions Council of South Africa enacted by the Health Professions Act No. 56 of 1974 a Psychiatrist in South Africa basically has to have to following degrees:
- An MBChB – a Bachelors of Medicine and a Bachelors of Surgery (actually 2 degrees which takes six years and has ample amounts of practical exposure)
- Thereafter the ‘intern’ has to do one intern year at a public hospital
- And thereafter two years of community service at a public health facility
- Now the doctor can decide to do his/her Masters Degree MMed(Psych) – which takes another four years and involves practical work as well.
To recap: a Psychiatrist has 3 degrees, one post-graduate and is thus in a position to make pronouncements on the human condition which charlatans and bible-bashers sure cannot do since they are not even remotely on the same educational level, I do not care if they hear voices, in fact they should go discuss it with a medical professional.
Okay, if you are a law abiding, taxpaying citizen like me, then why this ‘Moral Regeneration’?
I will try to give some views:
“We oppose gambling, pornography, homosexuality, prostitution and abortion.”
Closing down the Gambling Industry? – Not likely – too much money spent to be wasted.
Pornography – if you don’t like it, don’t watch it or don’t buy it – nobody is forcing you.
Homosexuality – so we gay folk will be thrown in jail or ‘repent’ ‘or else’?
Prostitution is still illegal darlings.
Abortion – recriminalizing that will only lead to more loss of life due to shady backstreet abortions, you pious bunch will have those blood on your hands.
If the ACDP ever wins a majority do not expect any shopping on Sundays, let alone liquor! Oh, and scratch out the legal ones in the list above here.
You will be told what to watch, what to read and what to buy.
You see the ACDP wants to save YOU from YOURSELF.
(Because they think you are incapable of thinking for yourself).
“Holier than thou”
They very well know that a lot of people think that Msholozi is not so squeaky clean – hence why they (Cope) appointed Bishop Dandala as the presidential candidate as the ‘moral antidote’ – but still leave Peter Marais at number 40 at the national IEC list!
Contradiction in terms, oxymoron... Marais resigned in indignation anyway.
There was also much talk about rooting out corruption and this moral regeneration.
“JZ – the Rhema one-timer”
Trying to save face and to woo the church goers he pitches up at that church.
And he goes on to say that the ANC will get into discussions with the church regarding same-sex marriages and legal abortions.
It seems that the LGBTIQ species has become extremely unpopular in Africa, and now in South Africa. And I fear we will be the scapegoats of this moral regeneration if we sit around and do nothing about it, and soon this moral regeneration will turn into un ethnic cleansing (‘cause gay is un-African you know) – and yet another genocide, but just different criteria.
Stand up. Vote! Get involved in all levels.
Your rights are not written in stone, so wake up and smell the coffee.